UGA FINE ARTS BUILDING



CLIENT

UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA

LOCATION
ATHENS, GA.

SIZE
10,000 sqft.

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

When it was built in 1940, the University of Georgia’s Fine Arts Building housed a 1,500 seat theatre which included a 464 seat balcony. As needs changed, the balcony became a space separate from the main theater. After 75 years of renovations, the balcony space had become an underutilized lecture hall lacking the spatial, HVAC, technological, and acoustic needs of a modern facility. Praxis3’s design reconfigured and updated the balcony to become a 277 person state-of-the art lecture hall capable of holding lectures, panel discussions, and even film screenings. In addition, Praxis3 provided accessibility upgrades to the building including the addition of a five-stop elevator within the footprint of a former stair shaft.